Manny Pacquiao (Pacman) - Oscar De La Hoya (The Golden Boy) Fight on December 6



Manny "the Pacman" Pacquiao, the current WBC Lightweight (135 lb, 61.2 kg) champion will meet "The Golden Boy" Oscar De La Hoya, on December 6, 2008 at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. De La Hoya, 35 is said to be considering this fight "the grand finale" of a successful boxing career.


TALE OF THE TAPE

The fight will take place at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds, Pacquiao will move up two weight classes. De La Hoya will come down to 147, a weight he has not fought at since 2001. The most notable advantage for De La Hoya are his reach at plus 4 inches and height which Pacquiao is giving another 4 inches. Pacquiao is at his peak at 29 years old and De La Hoya 35, many considers a downhill age for the sport.

Manny Pacquiao is considered the best fighter in boxing today and is tagged the mythical "Pound-for-Pound" best boxer. De La Hoya was also branded the same "Pound-for-Pound" king in his prime.

WHAT THE BOXER'S THINK

De La Hoya was quoted "Manny Pacquiao is considered the best fighter in boxing today and I always want to fight the best," De La Hoya said. "I am glad we were able to make this fight happen because while Pacquiao is at the pinnacle of his success and has defeated all of the top fighters he has faced, I am going to show the world that it stops with me. Dec. 6 can't get here soon enough."

Pacquiao said, the icon of his native Philippines, "This is my greatest challenge. When I take that walk to the ring to fight Oscar, I will carry all the people of the Philippines -- the entire country -- on my shoulders. I promise I will fight with all of my heart and that I will give everything I have. Like my trainer Freddie Roach says, I have what it takes to win the biggest fight of my life."

THE ODDS

MGM Grand oddsmakers opened the fight surprisingly close with De La Hoya as an 8-to-5 favorite.

Let's all wait and see...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bronzen boy should stay retired. Chicken legs is not being too intelligent.

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up. De La Hoya's gonna get a career ending walk of shame after this fight. I want to see how the weight affects Pacman's speed.