Armstrong is Coming Back for the 2009 Tour de France

If you find the topics interesting

Get Posts by RSS feed or Get Posts by Email


Lance Armstrong is coming for the 2009 Tour de France. Yes, you read that right! Lance Armstrong is coming back from a 3 year retirement to bid for an eight Tour de France championship.

According to vanityfair.com, Lance Armstrong said, "I am happy to announce that after talking with my children, my family and my closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden," Armstrong said in a statement, while in an exclusive interview posted on vanityfair.com the 36-year-old cyclist says he has his sights set firmly on the Tour de France in 2009.

"I am going back to professional cycling. I'm going to try to win an eighth Tour de France," Armstrong told Vanity Fair.

Armstrong now 36 years of age and will turn 37 on September 18 is typically old for another grueling Tour. The oldest winner of the Tour was Firmin Lambot, at age 36 in 1922. But the sport has evolved. The training and the bike is totally different. The sport is more competitive than ever.

Lance Armstrong's comeback is said to be for cancer awareness and doubters who could not believe that the cyclist never doped. The sport is known for its illegal performance enhancing drugs the past few decades. Armstrong is said to be hiring a video crew to document his trainings.

Details of the said comeback such as a team and schedule—will be announced Sept. 24 at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York City.

Wow! This is something. I'm a road cyclist. I tried to to compete last year after months of training and stopped riding for a couple of months. Guess what? I totally lost the endurance to run even on such short distance its totally different.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's already in the history books for winning the hardest race in the world and winning it 7 consecutive times. He left the sport in his prime, I hope it will not be like a Michael Jordan comeback with the Wizards.